DIGIT is Ireland’s largest games developer, home to a talented team of over 80 people from all over the world and the creators of free-to-play MMO mobile strategy games. Our first game, Kings of the Realm, became a top grossing game in over 50 countries. Our latest project Star Trek™ Fleet Command, an immersive F2P mobile MMO, launched worldwide in November 2018 and continues to top the charts across the globe.
We are looking for a full-time Backend Software Engineer who will play an instrumental part in creating world-leading, next-generation MMORTS and empire-building games, played by millions of mobile gamers. You will be part of a small, skilled development team, who are tasked with the creation of highly scalable systems built for consistency and low latency. The size and dynamic of this team will grant you considerable responsibility and autonomy in tasks and the design and implementation of our architecture.
Here's what you will be doing:
- Work on mobile MMOs, improve servers and co-design architectures for new titles.
- Design and develop our game server and associated tools and libraries, with a focus on low latency, scalability and consistency.
- Write automated, high-quality tests (unit, integration etc.) and work with QA teams to improve gameplay experience, curtail exploits and ensure that everything works smoothly.
- Work with feature owners, the game design team and other development teams to implement new features.
- Work with game client developers to implement real-time, networked communications between game client and server.
- Work with DevOps on scaling and deploying large-scale distributed systems.
- Work with frontend developers to implement tools to empower our Live Operators and Game Design teams in creation of new and exciting game-play experiences.
- Participate in overnight and weekend on-call rotation (optional, paid)
At DIGIT we are committed to creating a supportive work environment with a diverse team and a positive atmosphere. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, disability or age.
To do this job you will need:
- 3+ years as part of a professional development team or other relevant area.
- Experience in developing highly available back-end systems and servers or high-traffic web systems.
- Experience in Linux or MacOS operating systems and command line tools
- Experience with Redis, MySQL (or similar database systems, like PostgreSQL)
- Ability to write efficient low-latency, low-IO code.
- Good understanding of how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating etc.
- Experience in version control.
- Familiarity with deployments, ideally CI/CD pipelines
Perks of the job, to name a few:
- Relocating? We’ve relocated over 40 people from all over the world, from your flights to accommodation on arrival, we have you and your family covered.
- Working Permit Sponsorship
- Health insurance for you, your spouse and dependants
- Generous holiday allowance
- Flexible working hours arrangements, remote days
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Various weekly social events for you to get to know the city and your colleagues
- Strong focus on personal development