DIGIT is Ireland’s largest games developer, home to a talented team of over 70 people from all over the world and the creators of free-to-play MMO mobile strategy games. Our first game, Kings of the Realm, became a top grossing game in over 50 countries. Our latest project Star Trek Fleet Command, an immersive F2P mobile MMO, launched worldwide in November 2018 and continues to climb the charts across the globe.
We are looking for a passionate Lead Game Server Engineer who will be in creating and maintaining awesome games, as well as ensuring we have the best and most efficient development experience and processes. This is a great opportunity to head up an exceptional team of game server engineers
Here's what you will be doing:
- Lead members of our MMO Game Server Engineering team. We’re developing incredible next-generation MMO games played by millions of mobile gamers.
- Work closely with the VP of Engineering, defining and implementing key technical goals as well as goals and concepts to bring teams to the next level
- Design the architecture and implement server side game logic while leading the technical direction of our product
- Create a culture of high quality and high performance within the Game Server Engineering team and build low latency solutions that are highly scalable and consistent
- Mentor a team of highly technical and motivated server engineers
- Jump in to help the teams with troubleshooting and research of technical solutions
- Implement tools that empower our LiveOps & Game-Design teams to create new and exciting gameplay experiences
- Work closely with the Feature Owners, Game Client Engineers, Game Designers and LiveOps developers on features and tools
- Handle DevOps or be interested in learning how to do it (Working on scaling and deploying systems). “You build it, you run it” on a flexible docker environment
- Load test, monitor, profile & optimise game servers
- Prioritise technical tasks and work with the team to plan for development
- Manage and be apart of the rotating on-call schedule
To do this job, you will need:
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Solid technical leadership of an experienced engineering team
- Experience in developing backends and servers for large scale MMO games or similar systems that can handle tens of thousands of concurrent users.
- Broad knowledge of different architectures and how they fit or not for specific goals (e.g. best CPU performance, efficient data storage or code understandability etc.)
- Pragmatic and sustainable approach to programming and creating extensible and maintainable high performance code
- Solid programming skills in Python and another programming language (e.g. C#, Elixir, Java, C++)
- Solid Linux skills (Bash, working with log files, monitoring IO etc.)
- Ability to write efficient low-latency and low-IO code
- Experience working with Redis, ORMs and migration scripts
- Experienced in developing large-scale web services and working with DevOps teams to deploy
- Solid understanding on how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating etc.
- Experienced in Unit-Testing and other automated testing e.g. using JMeter, Locust or Tsung
- Be a gamer
While not mandatory, below are some nice to haves:
- Low-level networking & network-protocols experience
- Experienced in creating highly optimised low latency code
- Experience working with Amazon and Docker
- Experience in a functional programming language (Scala, F#, Erlang etc.)
- AAA or F2P MMO game-dev experience
- Experience with Unity, or C# is a bonus
- Experience in mentoring
Perks of the job, to name a few:
- Relocating? We’ve relocated over 40 people from all over the world, from your flights to accommodation on arrival, we have you and your family covered.
- Health and dental insurance for you, your spouse and dependants
- Generous holiday allowance
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Various weekly social events for you to get to know the city and your colleagues
At DIGIT we are committed to creating a supportive work environment with a diverse team and a positive atmosphere. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, disability or age.