DIGIT is Ireland’s largest games developer, home to a talented team of over 80 people from all over the world and the creators of free-to-play MMO mobile strategy games. Our first game, Kings of the Realm, became a top grossing game in over 50 countries. Our latest project Star Trek™ Fleet Command, launched globally in November 2018 and is redefining strategy gaming on mobile. DIGIT officially joined Scopely in May 2019, with offices in LA, Barcelona, Tokyo and Colorado.
We are looking for a passionate Lead Web Systems Engineer who will be hands-on in creating and maintaining awesome games, as well as ensuring we have the best and most efficient development experience and processes. This is a great opportunity to head up an exceptional team of server engineers.
Here's what you will be doing:
- Lead members of our Star Trek Platform Engineering team. We’re developing incredible next-generation MMO games played by millions of mobile gamers.
- Work closely with the Technical Director of Platform, defining and implementing key technical goals as well as goals and concepts to bring teams to the next level
- Work on mobile MMOs, improve backend services, associated tools and libraries and co-design architecture for Star Trek™ Fleet Command with a focus on low latency, scalability and consistency
- Identify and prioritise technical requirements and work with the team to plan for development
- Co-shape the culture of high quality and high performance within the entire Platform Engineering team and build low latency solutions that are highly scalable and consistent
- Mentor a team of highly technical and motivated server engineers
- Jump in to help the teams with troubleshooting and research of technical solutions
- Write automated, high-quality tests (unit, integration etc.) and work with QA teams to improve gameplay experience, curtail exploits and ensure that everything works smoothly.
- Work with feature owners, the game design team and other development teams to implement new features.
- Work with game client developers to implement real-time, networked communications between game client and server.
- Work with DevOps on scaling and deploying large-scale distributed systems.
- Work with frontend developers to implement tools to empower our Live Operators and Game Design teams in creation of new and exciting game-play experiences.
- Load test, monitor, profile & optimise server-side applications
To do this job, you will need:
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Solid technical leadership of an experienced engineering team
- Great communication skills - written and spoken, including remote-work settings
- Experience with resolving conflicts, motivating, hiring and coaching
- Experience in developing highly available back-end systems and servers or high-traffic web systems.
- Broad knowledge of different architectures and how they fit or not for specific goals
- Pragmatic and sustainable approach to programming and creating extensible and maintainable high performance code
- Experience working with Redis, MySQL (or similar database systems, like PostgreSQL)
- Ability to write efficient low-latency, low-IO code.
- Good understanding of how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating etc.
- Experience in version control.
- Familiarity with deployments, ideally CI/CD pipelines
- Be a gamer!
Perks of the job, to name a few:
- Relocating? We’ve relocated over 40 people from all over the world, from your flights to accommodation on arrival, we have you and your family covered.
- Working Permit Sponsorship
- Health and Dental insurance for you, your spouse and dependants
- Generous holiday allowance
- Flexible working hours arrangements, remote days
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Various weekly social events for you to get to know the city and your colleagues
- Equity and Bonus
- Strong focus on personal development
At DIGIT we are committed to creating a supportive work environment with a diverse team and a positive atmosphere. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, disability or age.